My MOST prized recipe

Grandma Kiehl's Caramels:
1/2 lb. butter
2(15oz) cans sweetened condensed milk
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup sifted flour
2 cups light corn syrup
1 tsp. vanilla
In heavy saucepan, melt butter, add corn syrup and sugar. Boil for 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring constantly. Add 1 1/2 cans of sweetened condensed milk. Mix flour thoroughly with remaining milk, add to syrup-sugar mixture. Boil until mixture darkens and forms a medium-hand ball (240 degrees). Stir constantly or mixture will stick!!! Add vanilla and pour into buttered 9x13 pan. Allow to cool.


Cut into 1" pieces with a sharp knife. Wrap pieces in small squares of waxed paper. Makes about 5 dozen pieces.




This is what the look like all rolled up.

I have the caramels all bagged and tagged, ready to give out for Halloween treats to our teachers and friends next week.
When I was little my Grandma would make these and mail us a batch to where ever we were living. Anytime she would send a box we would open it hoping to find these MOST delicious caramels inside.
I have made these every fall for the past 11 years. My kids get so excited when they see me making these. It makes me happy to see them enjoying these fall traditions we are making.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...